Senior NPI Engineer - SMT
Job Title: Senior NPI Engineer – SMT
Department: NPI Engineering
Supervisor: Executive Director of Technology
FLSA Status: Exempt
Responsible for the coordination and execution of all aspects of the New Product Introduction process. This includes the initial product review to assist in quoting, technology suitability fit, bill of material analysis, procurement support, process development, and capacity analysis. Responsible for interface with Test Engineering group to ensure in-process and final acceptance tests meet requirements. Manages DfM, DfA process and works with customer to improve manufacturability.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Technical contributor to quoting process, reviews and determines technical fit and required capabilities for new products
- Leads new product introduction projects, interfaces with internal team and customer to meet project requirements
- Manages initial prototype builds, develops internal requirements for New Product Introductions including; equipment specifications, process development, work cell configuration, documentation and validation plans
- Works with quality and process engineering teams to support creation of control plans
- Develops work cells using lean manufacturing principles
- Assists with new supplier selection to address new product requirements
- Works with Sourcing, Supply Chain team to ensure cost effective solutions are considered on new products
- Provides DFM, DFA, analysis and works with customer to improve manufacturability
- Collaborates with sustaining engineering to resolve technical challenges in manufacturing
- Assists in failure investigations, root cause analysis and corrective and preventive actions
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Must be able to effectively communicate with customers, suppliers and internal team in written and verbal correspondence.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Project
- Experience with PCB design and CAD tools; Valor, Cadence, Cam 350, Autocad, Solidworks, etc.
- Ability to lead and manage cross functional projects
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering or other engineering discipline or equivalent experience and education
- 10 years experience in electronic manufacturing services and minimum 5 years working with new product introductions
- Extensive knowledge of all PCBA processes, high level assemblies and box build
- Continuous improvement experience using Lean and Six Sigma methodologies
- Experience in a regulated industry preferred, medical device, automotive, aerospace, etc.
Establish and maintain a fully integrated Quality and Regulatory function focused on customer satisfaction and continuous improvement and regulatory compliance.
Management representative, responsible for implementation and maintenance of quality and environmental management systems including ISO 9001, AS 9100D, ISO 13485 and ISO 14001. Ensures compliance to relevant FDA QSR’s and the organization is complaint with all regulatory requirements.
Ensures customer requirements are consistently met, cost of non-quality is managed, corrective actions and improvement initiatives are effective.
Establishes appropriate KPI’s and control limits to monitor performance, implements countermeasures when necessary.
Manages the CAPA system, employs the use of structured problem solving for root cause determination, implements process monitoring to ensure effective resolutions are implemented.
Key Areas of responsibility
- Complaint monitoring, trending and resolution
- CAPA system management, aging reports, effectiveness monitoring
- Supplier selection, audits, performance monitoring and corrective actions
- Oversight of quality management system training
- Incoming, in-process and final inspection, MRB oversight
- Process monitoring, internal auditing, process development, equipment and process validation
- Monthly reporting of quality performance and corrective actions
- Oversight of equipment calibration and preventative maintenance programs; including COTs and custom fixtures
- Ability to work cross functionally and establish solutions to address critical business issues
Education and Experience
- BS in engineering discipline or equivalent education and experience
- Minimum 10 years experience quality management experience
- CQE / CQM Certification
- Experience in a regulated industry preferred; medical device, defense or aerospace
- Working knowledge of printed circuit board manufacturing a plus
- Lean / Six Sigma
- Experience with ERP / MRP / MES systems (Infor & Aegis preferred)
- Ability to lead with integrity, coach, mentor and develop staff
Job Title: Quality Engineer
Supervisor: Senior Quality Manager
Microboard Processing, Inc. (Microboard), located in Seymour, CT is a privately held, completely state-of-the-art Electronic Manufacturing Services (EMS) provider that has been in business for 38 years. We are relentless with our continuous improvement philosophy as well as our equipment, software and human capabilities, employing the brightest minds and the newest equipment (FUJI NXT III SMT, Automated climate-controlled inventory towers, 5D X-Rays, in-line SPI’s and AOI’s, on-site Nitrogen Generation, etc.). We are constantly pursuing global certifications to maintain Microboard at the leading edge of technology with a keen sensitivity to our environment (ISO 9001:2008, ISO 13485, AS9100D, ISO14001, CE, UL, ITAR.)
Support the maintenance, implementation, and continuous improvement activities related to the Quality Management System (QMS) for Microboard’s suppliers, customers, regulatory entities, and in-process inspection.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Monitor system wide Quality trends
- Drive corrective and preventative action
- Participate in Tech and Design Reviews
- Conduct supplier audits, in-process audits, AS and ISO internal audits, and participate in customer audits
- Co-chair the MRB committee for Receiving and In-Process Inspection
- Maintain the Quality Management System (ISO9001, ISO13485, AS9100)
- Provide direction to all Inspection personnel
- Generate quality plans following the guidelines of the AQPQ process defined in various international standards such as ISO/TS16949
- Author and perform product and process validations
- Perform other duties as defined by management
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related disciplines, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a certified Quality Engineer in a company whose business is in commercial, medical, military and/or aerospace electronics and/or electronic assembly
- CQE designation is mandatory for a Senior QE position although Microboard will consider CQE eligible candidates for QE positions
- Certification to and/or knowledge of IPC-A-600, IPC-A-610, IPC-A-620, and J-STD-001 are highly desired
- Certification as a QMS auditor for AS9100, ISO-9000, ISO-13485, GMP are desirable
- Experienced with the creation and performance of AS9102 FAI’s
- Capable of high-level data analysis
- Ability to generate and perform FMEA’s and PFMEA’s
- Working knowledge of Configuration Management standards such as ISO100007, SAE/EIA-649, and MIL-HDBK-614 September 19, 2019 Page 2 Microboard Proprietary
- Process knowledge in printed circuit assembly and/or printed circuit boards is highly desirable
- Ability to work independently
- Desire to grow into a leadership role, over time
- Availability for national and international travel, up to 10% of the time, may be required